Menu Main body content
Facebook X, formerly known as Twitter Youtube Instagram LinkedIn


The War Amps is committed to improving the quality of life for Canadian amputees.

–aA+ | | | Print

Address Labels

How can I obtain War Amps address labels?

You may order address labels online or by calling 1 800 250-3030.

How many labels do you ship per order?

One sheet of 58 labels is shipped per order.

What is the cost for labels?

Our service is provided at no charge. We are grateful for any contribution our supporters feel is appropriate. A receipt for income tax purposes is issued for any donation amount.

Can I order labels as a gift?

Yes, you can choose to have the labels mailed to you or we’ll have them mailed to the person receiving the gift. A letter will accompany the labels informing them of your kind gesture.


How can the Advocacy Program help me?

Advocacy can help by providing assistance to amputees and their families to ensure they know their rights and are aware of the financial and health-care benefits available to them. We also help in areas such as government benefits, human rights, insurance and legal issues, and war amputees’ benefits.

When should I request assistance from Advocacy?

If you have a concern, please contact us as soon as possible so that we may determine how we can help.
1 877 622-2472

How does Advocacy choose cases?

As a registered charitable organization, we are limited by our resources and budget and must prioritize which cases we are able to take on. An exciting aspect of the Advocacy Program is that some of our cases have the potential to create widespread, positive changes for all amputees. Our focus is on these types of cases, where a positive outcome can set the groundwork for many more amputees to achieve the same result.

Can you share information about amputation with my employer?

Yes, we can answer any questions your employer may have, such as what a medical recommendation from your occupational therapist or physiotherapist means, as well as what accommodations may be needed for an employee with an amputation. If you have experienced discrimination or have been treated unfairly in the workplace, The War Amps can help. Each situation is unique, and we will work with you to address the issue.

What is the “Crusade for Reform”?

Through the “Crusade for Reform,” our goal is to proactively educate the government and insurers on the medical necessity of prostheses, their abilities and limitations, and their realistic costs, so that individuals receive the limbs they need for their independence, safety and security.

Can you provide information on how to apply for disability-related tax credits and benefits?

Yes, our resources can help you learn more and apply for the financial and health-care benefits available to most amputees, such as the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) and Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). Contact us to receive these resources.
1 877 622-2472

Child Amputee (CHAMP) Program

How did CHAMP come about?

With their own needs being effectively managed, The War Amps members (amputee veterans of the First and Second World War) recognized child amputees could benefit from their knowledge and experiences. In 1975, they introduced the CHAMP Program to provide young amputees with comprehensive support that is unique in the world. Many of our veteran members consider CHAMP to be the greatest achievement they have contributed to in their lives.

What are the criteria for enrolment in the CHAMP Program?

CHAMP serves children in Canada (under 18) who are born without a limb or have lost a limb due to an accident or medical causes. Children who have multiple amputations may qualify for enrolment in JUMPSTART.

The War Amps does not require any financial details or family background information. We require basic information in order to provide the best possible assistance for each child. All information is held in the strictest confidence.

How can a child amputee be enrolled in the CHAMP Program?

If you wish to receive assistance through The War Amps Child Amputee (CHAMP) Program, please complete the enrolment form online, or download the PDF and return the form to CHAMP by mail.

Where does the financial assistance come from?

Donations to the Key Tag and Address Label Service fund The War Amps many programs – including CHAMP. We do not receive government grants.

What assistance is available to help pay for artificial limbs?

CHAMP assists with the costs of standard artificial limbs and ongoing adjustments/repairs not covered through provincial or private medical plans or group insurance. CHAMP also covers 100 per cent of the cost of recreational limbs and devices, such as those designed for swimming, biking or playing a musical instrument. Financial assistance must be pre-authorized by the CHAMP Program.

Will CHAMP help with travel costs for prosthetic fittings?

Yes. Canada is fortunate to have prosthetic and rehabilitation centres from coast-to-coast to serve amputees. However, many child amputees and their families do not live near one of these centres. Travel to and from prosthetic centres can be costly, and multiple appointments to fit an artificial limb may be required over the course of several days.

Is there special assistance to help children missing more than one limb?

Yes. JUMPSTART provides computers and assistive computer devices to children with multiple amputations registered in CHAMP. Through accessible computer technology funded by JUMPSTART, career doors are opened to multiple amputees, putting them on the road to lifelong independence.

How else does The War Amps help child amputees and their families?


  • Regional CHAMP seminars
  • Peer support
  • A wealth of information on living with amputation
  • Information about amputees’ rights and accessing important financial and health-care entitlements


Can I direct my donation towards a specific person or family?

Yes. Please note, however, that a charity may not issue a receipt if the donor has directed the funds to a specified person or family. For more information on this guideline, please read the Canada Revenue Agency’s Interpretation Bulletin IT-110R3 .

What is my donation used for?

Your donation will be used to fund the various programs and services we operate. For additional information on the work we do and how our funds are distributed, please view our Essential Financial Information. You may also obtain this information by contacting Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030.

Can I make a monthly gift?

Yes. Monthly gifts are easy to make. Visit our Monthly Giving page to donate online or for monthly giving donation forms, which you can send in by mail or fax. You may also call us at 1 800 250-3030 to set up a monthly gift.

On what date are monthly gifts processed?

Monthly gifts are processed on the first day of each month.

What are the benefits of monthly giving?

Monthly donations help reduce administrative costs and provide a continuous and reliable source of funding to support the needs of amputees across Canada.

How can I make changes to my monthly gift?

You can make changes to your monthly donation at any time simply by contacting Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030.

Can I make a donation using online or telephone banking?

Yes. A donation can be made through all major chartered banks and trust companies. Please use your current key tag number as your War Amps account number.

Do you have a privacy policy?

Yes. Please read our privacy policy. We would like to assure you that we do not and will not divulge the information of our donors to organizations or individuals for any reason. Additionally, The War Amps is ISO/IEC 27001:2013 certified for the operation of an information security management system to protect the privacy of donor and key tag information.

I would like to mail in my donation. Where do I send it?

All donations, orders, changes, etc., are processed at the following address:
The War Amps
1 Maybrook Drive
Scarborough, Ontario M1V 5K9

Please refer to our Donation page for more on donation options.

What is planned giving?

Planned giving refers to charitable gifts that require some planning before they are made. Planned gifts are popular because they can provide valuable tax benefits. By making bequests and other planned gifts, you can help The War Amps meet its commitments to amputees long into the future.

What is a bequest?

A bequest is a type of planned gift. In making a will, you exercise your right to choose what to do with your lifetime accumulations. Leaving a bequest to a charity creates a lasting memorial to your values and achievements. Bequests offer many practical benefits including retaining control of the gift for the duration of your life and eligibility for tax credits.

What is an “In Memoriam” donation?

A donation in memory of a family member or friend is a meaningful way to express sympathy. The War Amps will send the bereaved family a special card acknowledging your donation. The card will identify the donor and provide the donor’s address but will not include the amount given. A receipt is issued to the donor for income tax purposes.

What is an “In Honour” donation?

An “In Honour” donation is a meaningful and unique way to show your appreciation for a friend or loved one who has made an impact on your life, mark a special event or commemorate a special occasion. Donations can be made for any reason. The War Amps will send the person you have chosen to honour a card acknowledging your thoughtful gift. A receipt is issued to the donor for income tax purposes.

Where can I find your financial information?

You may view our Essential Financial Information, as well as our full audited financial statement here. A copy can also be obtained by contacting Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030.

How can I fundraise for The War Amps?

We appreciate any donations that come to us as the result of fundraising efforts. However, our mandate is clear: we raise our funds through the Key Tag and Address Label Service. As such, we cannot become directly involved in fundraising efforts carried out by others.

Key Tags

What is The War Amps Key Tag Service?

The service works by attaching a confidentially coded key tag to your keys. If you lose your keys, the person who finds them can call the toll-free number on the back of the key tag or drop your keys into any mailbox in Canada. The War Amps will return them to you, free of charge.

Key tags are mailed to Canadians once per year but are available for order at any time. The sheltered workshop where the key tags are made provides employment for Canadian amputees and other people with disabilities.

How do I get my own set of War Amps key tags?

You can order key tags (each set contains two tags) online or by calling 1 800 250-3030. Please allow two weeks for delivery.

What is the cost for key tags?

Our service is provided at no charge. We are grateful for any contribution our supporters feel is appropriate. A receipt for income tax purposes is issued for any donation amount.

What do I do if I find a set of keys?

If you find a set of keys with a War Amps key tag, the quickest and most efficient option is to call us at 1 800 250-3030, and we will arrange to pick up the keys and return them to their owner. You can also deposit the keys in any mailbox in Canada. Canada Post will deliver them to us and we will return them to the owner.

Will my keys be returned to me if I have not donated?

Yes! We will return your keys to you, free of charge. There is no obligation to donate; however, we are grateful for any contribution our supporters feel is appropriate.

Can we receive all the key tags for our household in one envelope?

Each envelope will hold a maximum of two sets of key tags (four individual key tags total). To request that your key tags be sent two sets per envelope, please contact Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030.

Why does my key tag number change every year?

Key tag numbers change each year to maintain confidentiality and keep our files current. This allows us to return lost keys without delay.

I have moved. Is my key tag number still valid?

Once you report your address change to The War Amps, your file information will be updated. The key tag number will then remain valid until your new ones arrive the following year.

Is the key tag number transferable to someone else?

No. A new file will be created to reflect this person’s name and address. The information kept in our files is always confidential. The War Amps will never sell, rent, trade or share your name or address.

What happens if I lose a set of keys with an old key tag attached to it?

We recommend that you contact Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030 to ensure your address and telephone number are up-to-date in our files. In order to prevent delays in returning keys to their owners, always attach a current key tag to your key chain.

Will my keys be returned to me if I lose them outside of Canada?

Although some keys have been returned to their owners from locations abroad, we cannot guarantee that our tags will protect your keys if they are lost outside of Canada. However, our toll-free number listed on the back of the tag does work in the United States.

Do I have to drive in order to have key tags?

No – key tags aren’t just for car keys; use them on any keys you want to protect – keys for your house, mailbox, bike lock, locker, USB key and more!

How many sets of keys have you returned?

Since amputee veterans started the Key Tag Service in 1946, The War Amps has returned more than 1.5 million sets of lost keys to their owners.


As a registered Canadian charity, The War Amps is qualified to issue receipts for income tax purposes to those who donate to our programs and services. Please note, our receipts are not invoices and you are not obligated to send in another donation.

The Canada Revenue Agency has very strict regulations for receipts. The War Amps must follow them closely in order to maintain our charitable status. For more information on these guidelines, please read their Interpretation Bulletin IT-110R3 .

When will I receive my receipt?

The War Amps issues receipts by February following the year during which the donation was made. If you wish to receive your receipt sooner, please contact Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030. If you are currently preparing a donation and wish to receive your receipt immediately, please make your request at the time of the donation.

Donations received in December may be receipted separately from donations made earlier in the year. Please allow an additional 2 weeks for this receipt to arrive.

You may use charitable income tax receipts within 5 years.

How can I get an error on my receipt corrected?

We apologize for any mistake we have made. To obtain an amended receipt, please contact Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030.

I misplaced my receipt. Can I receive another one?

Yes. Simply contact Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030 and we will gladly send you a replacement receipt.

Can you make changes to my receipt?

Changes can be made to a receipt with the exception of the year appearing on the receipt. Charities must date receipts for the same year during which the donation was received. It is imperative that we adhere to these guidelines so that our charitable status is not endangered. For more information, please read the Canada Revenue Agency’s Interpretation Bulletin IT-110R3 .

If you require a name or address change on your receipt, simply contact Customer Service at or 1 800 250-3030. In some instances, you may be required to return the receipt to us for a replacement.

I want to donate something other than cash. Can I get a receipt?

Certain donations other than cash can be considered gifts in kind. It is possible to issue a receipt for these gifts as long as the amount recorded is the fair market value of the item as of the date of the donation and as determined by a written valuation by someone knowledgeable in the field. For more information on what constitutes a gift in kind, please read the Canada Revenue Agency’s Interpretation Bulletin IT-297R2.

I directed my United Way donation to go to The War Amps. Will you send me a receipt?

We are grateful you have chosen The War Amps as the recipient of your donation. Rest assured that your donation will go towards helping amputees in Canada. Your receipt, though, will be issued by the United Way. The United Way will forward your donation to us, keeping your name and address confidential. Please contact us directly if you would like to request key tags and address labels.

Does The War Amps issue a receipt for any donation amount?

Yes. A receipt is issued for all donation amounts.


How does The War Amps assist war amputees?

We continue to serve war amputees and seriously disabled veterans by acting as a navigator to help them access their benefits and services, sharing our expertise on all aspects of amputation, advocating for amputees and effecting legislative change. We also work with Veterans Affairs Canada and the Department of National Defence in a consultative role to ensure appropriate services are delivered to amputees.

We proudly serve war amputees from past and more recent conflicts.

How does The War Amps honour our veterans?

Child amputees have “taken up the torch” of remembrance to commemorate the sacrifices of those who served and pay tribute to war amputees who founded the Association. These child amputees are honoured to participate in Operation Legacy events and national remembrance initiatives.

How can I obtain information about a specific regiment of the Canadian Armed Forces?

For information concerning a specific regiment of the Canadian Armed Forces, please contact the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces.

Where can I learn more about a veteran’s military record including received awards?

For information about any military records, please contact Library and Archives Canada.

For information on medals issued by the Canadian Government for the First and Second World Wars and the Korean War, please contact Veterans Affairs Canada.

For information on medals issued after the Korean War, please contact the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces.

Who can be buried at the National Military Cemetery? What is the application process?

Information on who can be buried at the National Military Cemetery and the application process can be found at the Beechwood Cemetery website.

How can I find out where a fallen Canadian soldier is buried?

For information or to locate the grave of a fallen Canadian soldier from the First and Second World Wars, contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Where can I find information about planning a trip to Europe to visit the battlefields?

A number of resources and information on battlefield tours significant to Canadians are available through the Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies.