Edward G. McAndrew, of Hamilton, Ontario, was born on November 26, 1924. At the age of 18, he enlisted in the Army and served as a Signaller with the Canadian Infantry Corps (Royal Hamilton Light Infantry/Regina Rifle Regiment). He took part
in the D-Day invasion in Normandy, France, and a few days later, on June 13, 1944, he was injured by a mortar shell, resulting in the loss of his left leg above the knee.
Mr. McAndrew joined The War Amps in 1944 and served as:
- Member, Board of Directors, Hamilton Branch
- Vice-President, Hamilton Branch
For his dedicated service, he was presented with the Honourary CHAMP Membership.
The former school teacher was known for his expert needlepoint and stained-glass work, which are displayed at The War Amps National Headquarters.
Mr. McAndrew passed away on January 21, 2015.
Share this page
Read more biographies